From 1903 until 1961, The Hingham Naval Ammunition Depot (originally called the Hingham Naval Reserve) was a major supplier of U.S. munitions, occupying 990 acres on the Weymouth Back River (in the section once known as The Hockley). At peak capacity in 1945, over 2,400 civilians and military personnel worked there. In the mid 1950s, the site contained over 90 buildings, its own telephone exchange, and 15 cranes. The base was decommissioned in 1961, though the Navy held on to the property until 1971, when it was turned over to the town of Hingham. Today much of the site is now occupied by the town's Wompatuck State Park.
The above images are used with permission. They are copyrighted and the sole ownership of the Kreative License Art Studio, operator of www.sackrabbit.com.